Height of installation of sockets and switches: where and how to properly position
There are no clear standards for the location of sockets and switches. There are only requirements that apply with respect to the mutual arrangement of gas pipes and switches, plumbing and sockets. You can also find tips on the location of power points and the most common planning options.
Official Location Rules
The outlet and the switch can be set as you please, except for dangerous places - baths, kitchens and other rooms with gas and water. To regulate the location of these points in hazardous areas, several documents have been published:
- GOST R 50571.11-96;
- SP 31-110-2003;
- Electrical Installation Rules.
You should definitely read these documents if you are self-repairing. Housing services can check your apartment for compliance with the standards if you have an accident, a short circuit.And if it turns out that you have violated the rules, you can set a penalty or refuse to pay the sum insured.
The location of sockets and switches in wet rooms
Sources of water are usually located in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Bath - a particularly dangerous area. The outlet may be short-circuited if it is located next to the sink, bathroom, and even the toilet. According to the rules of installation, any point of electricity, including the switch, must be at least 60 cm away from water. Then the electric point will be located in a safe area with the designation "3". So, a short set of rules:
- distance from the wall of the shower stall - 60 cm;
- distance from the bath - 60 cm;
- distance from the sink - 60 cm.
The rules apply to switches and sockets. The specified distance is minimal, it is advisable to add a few more centimeters.
It should be borne in mind that from the shower stalls without a solid fence constantly fly water drops. With a strong pressure, these drops can overcome the distance and more than 60 cm. And if you accidentally direct the shower hose towards the outlet, it is likely that the jet will reach the point of electricity.Therefore it is necessary to observe additional precautionary rules:
- All sockets must be equipped with an additional screen that covers the inlets. The screen is usually transparent or under the color of the edging.
- Showers should be bought closed, with a sliding door.
Another official requirement that is imposed on batteries is that they should not be connected to the main network, but connected to the circuit through a transformer or other switchgear. Such a precautionary measure allows you to avoid the circuit of all appliances in the house, if suddenly water enters the outlet in the bathroom or in the kitchen. Only the network section to the distribution device will fail. At the same time, the supply of electricity to the transformer will automatically stop. This precaution will protect people from electric shock.
Layout of power points near gas
Gas pipes should not be adjacent to the outlet closer than 60 cm. This also applies to other gas devices:
- gas stoves;
Do not place the outlet directly above the stove. The fumes from the stove can enter the openings and cause a short circuit.For the same reason, do not push the outlet to the kitchen hood and sink.
Popular power point location standards
At first glance, the location of sockets and switches in other rooms is unlimited. However, two most common standards are used in Russian and European apartment buildings.
In Russia, the Soviet version is still common. When it is, the sockets are placed at a distance of 90 cm from the floor, and the switches are 160 cm away from it. In Europe and the USA, another standard is used: the sockets are only 30 cm away, and the switches are 90 cm.
Now in Russia, developers are gradually moving to the "European standard", which began to be used simultaneously with the European-quality repair. Mass construction of houses with such an arrangement of electric outlets began in Moscow according to the renovation program until 2032. In private homes, there are no standards, and the owners themselves calculate the level of location as the room allows.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Soviet standard
Switches installed at 160 cm (around the shoulder) have advantages over the euro standard, especially if there are children in their homes.Advantages of this option:
- small children do not reach the switch;
- when entering the room, you can immediately turn on the light without looking for the switch below.
So that the switch is not blocked by the opening door, it is installed on the handle side.
But buttons arranged in a similar way have disadvantages:
- you can not turn off or turn on the light without getting out of bed;
- when watching TV on the couch or other household chores, you also have to stand up or pull out to adjust the lighting.
To solve these problems, you can buy a chandelier with a remote control. This is easier than remaking all the lighting buttons.
Outlets in the Soviet version are located at a height of 90 cm and this has its advantages. Such a height is convenient for the bedside area. You can place a bedside table directly under the socket, and you can safely connect table lamps or chargers for equipment. This location is also more convenient for household appliances in the kitchen: the sockets are just above the countertop or table. If you want to equip a working area with a computer, then the socket at the level of 90 cm will be right under the table and will allow you not to create a tangled bundle of wires on the floor.
But the disadvantages are not less:
- sockets are too noticeable in the interiors and, if they are not arranged in the same style, spoil it;
- points of electricity are located just at the level of the eyes of a small child;
- if the outlet is long, then you have to clean (remove the tables and chairs) its entire area, which makes it difficult to plan the room.
If for some parameters the Soviet standard did not fit, it is better to move on to European standards.
Pros and cons of European standard
The positive sides of the outlets according to the European standard are slightly less than those of the Soviet ones. Main advantages:
- sockets are not visible, almost merge with the baseboard or are in the shade under a table or chair;
- It is convenient to connect refrigerators and other dimensional equipment.
However, many and cons:
- it's hard not to close the outlet with furniture;
- if you need to recharge the phone, you have to bend over and put the device on the floor;
- Because of this arrangement, the wires under the desk get confused and lie on the floor, in a place accessible to the child and animals.
Advantages of the location of the switches:
- You can adjust the lighting without getting up from the couch or bed;
- the child can put out the light himself.
- children up to three years old can mess with the switch, break it;
- inconvenient to find the switch in the dark;
- inconvenient to turn on the light when entering the room.
According to the results of the analysis, we can say that there is no more convenient location option. It is necessary to combine the Soviet and European options, depending on the needs and decor of the room.
General Tips for Locating Sockets and Switches
The main rule - before connecting the wiring you need to accurately plan the interior. Consider the location of furniture, household appliances and electrical appliances. Select a sufficient number of outlets for existing ones, as well as select a few spare points.
- In the working area it is better to place the outlet 5-10 cm above the table top.
- In the kitchen, sockets are placed on 2-3 at a distance of 5 cm from the countertop, at least 60 cm from the stove and from the sink.
- If you expect to use bedside tables, then the sockets above them should not be close, but 10-20 cm higher.
- Provide a vacuum cleaner in each room.
- Try to position the sockets so that they are blocked by electrical appliances or under the table, in the shade.
- In the hall and hall, place the switch at the door.
- In the living room with a bed, make several switches. One at the entrance, one at the bed at a distance of 90 cm. It can be placed at the sofa or armchair.
- In the bathroom, protect the button box.
Follow the few rules for installing power points easily. More attention should be paid to the issue of ergonomic placement. If you cannot calculate the required number of outlets and arrange them yourself, you can attract an interior designer or an architect, watch a video with recommendations. For those who have placed too few outlets, there are triple adapters, but they make the interior of the apartment and house less attractive.
Guilt: how to get rid of forever
DIY Planets of the Solar System
Crown for the Snow Queen
Where is Santa Fe
Unusual: we find a new use for eggshell and egg tray