Easy Natural Makeup | 5 MINUTE MAKEUP | Laura Lee
How to Apply Makeup to Look More Masculine
If you're a man, you may want to apply makeup to enhance your natural features. You may also be exploring a new gender identity or in the process of transitioning. Whatever your reasons, there are many ways makeup can be used to enhance masculinity.
Short Video: How to Apply Makeup to Look More Masculine
To best way to apply makeup to look more masculine is to cover up acne with concealer and use powder to reduce shine. Contour your face to highlight angular features, like your cheekbones and jawline. Apply concealer to make your eyes look smaller and define them by applying a powder-based eyeliner on your top lash line. Then, shape your eyebrows so they look thick and bushy.For more advice on using makeup to look masculine, like how to enhance your facial hair, read on!
Applying the Basics
Apply a layer of beauty balm.This will smooth out your skin and conceal some blemishes and discolorations. You should use balm over foundation. Foundation will make it obvious you're wearing makeup. Balm will smooth out your features, prepping your face for makeup, without making the fact you're wearing makeup obvious.
- Use your index finger to dab dots of beauty balm around your face. Focus on areas in which your skin is uneven.
- Use a fluff brush or your fingers to blend the balm into your skin. Use circular motions and keep blending until the foundation looks natural. You should not see any obvious lines or marks on your face.
Cover up blemishes with concealer.Focus on areas prone to acne, like the chin and forehead, as well as under your eyes. You can use your fingers to apply concealer. You can also use the wand that came with the package.
- As with the foundation, work the concealer into your skin with circular motions. You can use your fingers, a brush, or a makeup sponge.
- Keep blending until the concealer looks natural. It should blend into your foundation and skin tone. There should not be any lines on your face.
Use a powder to reduce shine.After applying foundation and concealer, your makeup will not appear that different than feminine makeup. You should take steps to reduce the shiny appearance left by foundation and cover up. Makeup powder should be dabbed across your face to dull the appearance of your foundational makeup.
- Choose a powder foundation that matches your natural skin tone. Dab the foundation over your face using a large brush.
- Target the areas on your face that are the shiniest. Your cheeks and cheekbones, for example, may be shiny after applying cream foundation and cover up.
Contour around your face.Men tend to have more angular features. You can create this affect by using a darker shade of highlighter or foundation to create the illusion of shadows around your cheekbones, jaw, and forehead. Use a small contouring brush to apply the makeup.
- Start with your cheekbones. Suck in your cheeks and draw a dark line running down your cheekbones. Draw another line tracing your chin and lower jawline. This will create a sharper, more masculine facial structure.
- Draw a slight l-shape on both your temples. Then, on your forehead, shade a triangular shape on both sides of the forehead. Draw the triangle just above the arch of each eyebrow.
- Use a light powder to blend the contour shades throughout your face. It should not be obvious you're wearing makeup. Use a large brush and circular motions to blend.
Shade around your nose to make it look bigger.Men tend to have larger and more defined noses. Using a dark foundation or highlighter, you can shade around your nose to make it more prominent. Use a large brush to apply.
- Shade both sides of the nose. This will also darken the area. Men tend not to wear foundation, so areas of the face usually look darker. Make sure to shade under the tip of your nose, as well as the sides of each nostril.
- Shade the area where your nose meets your brow bone. This create the appearance of a shadow under the eyebrow. This is important, as men tend to have more prominent fore brows.
Part 1 Quiz
Which part of your face should you accentuate with contouring?
Refining Your Eyes
Use makeup to make your eyes smaller.Men tend to have eyes that are smaller in appearance. Therefore, you want to make your eyes look smaller with the use of makeup. To do so, use a concealer lighter than your skin tone under your eyes.
- Use your fingers to apply the concealer right under your eyes. Apply in an arch that follows along your lower eyelid.
- Keep working the concealer in until it blends naturally with your skin. When you're done, your eyes should look slightly smaller.
Treat your eyebrows.Male eyebrows tend to be bushier than female eyebrows. They also tend to lack shape. While female eyebrows are arched slightly, male eyebrows may be thicker and more furrowed. You can use makeup to fill in gaps in your eyebrows and shape them in a more masculine style.
- Use an eyebrow powder that matches your natural brow color. Use a small brush to start applying the makeup. Start applying powder at the end of your eyebrow nearest your nose.
- Fill in any gaps in your eyebrow hair to make them look thicker. As you work your way across your eyebrows, apply the makeup in a straight line. Work against the natural curve of your brow. Blend the makeup in a way that makes your eyebrow appear straighter.
Use a subtle eyeliner.You can enhance your eyes a bit with eyeliner. This will call attention to your masculine looking eyes and brows. However, use a subtle shade. A dark, noticeable shade may look more feminine.
- Apply the eyeliner right at your lash line. Go for a brown or chocolate brown shade.
- Select a powder-based liner. This will be less noticeable than other liners, while also defining your eyes.
Part 2 Quiz
Which of these techniques can give your eyes a more masculine appearance?
Enhancing Facial Hair
Choose an eyebrow powder that matches your facial hair.You can use eyebrow powder on your existing facial hair to make it look thicker and scruffier. Stop by a local drugstore or makeup store. Look for an eyebrow powder that matches the color of your natural facial hair.
- You may have to experiment with several different types of eyebrow powder before finding one that looks natural on you.
Apply the powder over your existing facial hair.Use a small angled brush. Dip it into the eyebrow powder. Then, apply the powder over your existing facial hair.
- Use circular motions to dust the powder over your facial hair. Give particular attention to areas where there are gaps in facial hair.
- Keep in mind, this will not work as well if your facial hair is just growing in. You want to wait until your stubble is fairly noticeable before attempting this.
Make sure to blend out the makeup.Otherwise, your makeup will look unnatural. Blend the makeup into your neck and cheeks so the color fades gradually. A dramatic change in color or texture will make it obvious you're wearing makeup.
Part 3 Quiz
True or False: You should apply eyebrow powder using short downward strokes.
QuestionI'm a girl but I want to look like a guy. This wikiHow didn't really help; can I get some other advice?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDo a search for a contouring chart by Lee Scion that shows you how to contour your face for a more feminine or masculine look.Thanks!
QuestionIs there any way to make girly-shaped eyes look more masculine?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerShade all around the eyes (basically the entire socket) with darker skin-tone makeup. "Male" eyes are usually set deeper in the head than "female" eyes.Thanks!
QuestionHow would I be able to alter the lips?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou may want to make your lips look less full, so you can use concealer to mask the normal line of your lips and make them look thinner.Thanks!
QuestionWill this still work if I accidentally make myself look like a girl?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI guess that would depend on what the final result looked like. Some people might not think it was very masculine, but others might think it's masculine of you to embrace feminine characteristics. Just get creative and find whichever makeup style makes you feel good!Thanks!
QuestionAre thin, chiseled cheekbones considered masculine?Emma LongwellCommunity AnswerThey can be masculine, but a lot of girls have chiseled cheekbones as well. Most men try to have a chiseled jawline while girls focus on cheekbones, but don't worry about those stereotypes.Thanks!
QuestionI'm a female and wanting to give off the effect of facial hair. Is there any way to realistically do this without using fake hair?Cecilia FloresTop AnswererTo make a black/gray beard, you'll need a grayish-blue (more on the blue side), black, and white cream paints/face paints, water- or alcohol-activated paints, an sfx stippling sponge, and water or alcohol if you're using special paints. Lay down a light layer of the blue-gray paint, then stipple black and white paints over that to create stubble.Thanks!
QuestionIs there a way to make my lips look manlier?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse a lighter color - maybe a light pink or red.Thanks!
Video: How To Do Makeup On a Client| Sophia Perez
4 ways to wear gloss and actually make it work in real life
Photographer Claps Back After Mom is Shamed For Sexy Postpartum Shoot
Prince Harry Introduces Girlfriend Meghan Markle To The Queen
5 Of Britain’s Best Shopping Mini-Breaks – With 10 Off Bicester Village
How to Write Latitude and Longitude
Remedies For A Tired Body
How to Eat Healthy While Traveling in a Car
Sarah Ferguson wows in an unusual pair of her favourite pumps
Are You Anemic
Brain Tumor Risk Factors
Read more of our Bank of America coverage
The Bags That Will Be Everywhere in 6 Months
Savory Garlic-Ginger Pork Chops
Secret Beauty Ingredient:Cucumber
Cool Weather, Cool Coat – Win The Must-Have Coat of The Season From Vince Camuto