How to Clean A Laptop and Notebook at Home || How to Clean Laptop Keyboard and Screen
How to Clean a Laptop Screen with Household Products
Laptop screens tend to collect dust, food particles and other debris that starts to look unattractive after a while. It's important to use very gentle supplies to clean your laptop screen, since the LCD surface is easily damaged. Using a microfiber cloth and a simple solution of water and vinegar will do the trick if you don't want to purchase a special screen cleaner.
Cleaning the Screen with a Microfiber Cloth
Turn the computer off and unplug the power adapter and battery.Cleaning a screen that's in use can result in permanent damage, so be on the safe side of things and turn everything off. Don't just put it to sleep.
Get a microfiber cloth.This is made with a type of fabric that doesn't produce lint, in addition to being very soft. If you use a washcloth, T-shirt or another type of cloth, it could leave extra debris on your screen or scratch it.
- Avoid using paper products as well. Never use a napkin, paper towel, toilet paper or another paper product, since these are scratchy and will damage the screen.
- A microfiber cloth is handy for cleaning all sorts of screens and lenses.
Wipe the screen gently with the cloth.Using one sweep of the cloth should take care of any dust and loose particles on the screen. Wipe gently without exerting much pressure, since if you press too hard you could damage the screen.
- When you wipe with gentle circular motion, you'll be able to lift up some of the tougher spots.
- Never scrub the screen, or you could cause pixel burnout.
Clean the laptop frame with gentle cleaning solution.If the area around the screen is dirty, you can use a standard household cleaning solution and a paper towel; just be very careful not to let it touch the screen.
Using a Cleaning Solution
Turn the computer off and unplug the power adapter and battery.Since you're using a liquid to clean the screen in this method, it's important to turn off the computer and unplug it from the outlet.
Create a gentle cleaning solution.The ideal solution is plain distilled water, which contains no chemicals and is gentle on the screen. If heavier cleaning is needed, a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water can also be effective.
- Make sure you use plain white vinegar, not apple cider vinegar or any other kind.
- Distilled water is better than tap water because it's chemical-free.
- Manufacturers no longer recommend using any cleaners with alcohol, ammonia or any strong solvents on LCD screens.
Put the solution in a small atomizer bottle.This is the type of spray bottle that you push from the top to get a fine mist, similar to a perfume bottle. Pour some of the solution into the spray bottle and screw on the top. Don't use this to spray on the screen itself, however.
Apply a minimal amount of the solution to a microfiber cloth.A static-free, fiber-free cloth works best. Remember not to use regular cloth, since this could scratch the screen. Do not soak the cloth; you just want to get it moist, which is the purpose of using the atomizer bottle to wet it.
- A wet cloth can drip or run when cleaning the screen and the solution can weep behind the bezel and permanently damage your screen.
- Try applying the solution to just one corner of the cloth at a time, to make sure you don't get it too wet.
Wipe the cloth against the screen in a circular motion.Rapid circular movements generally eliminate streaks. Apply a gentle and even pressure to the cloth. Use only enough pressure to keep the cloth in contact with the screen. Take care not to press your fingers into the cloth or screen, since applying too much force when cleaning the screen can permanently damage the LCD matrix and render your screen unusable.
- Hold the screen toward the very top or very bottom to avoid re-smudging it as you work.
- You may need to pass over the screen multiple times before all the smudges have been removed. You may also need to re-dampen the cloth as you work, depending on how many passes over the screen you need to make.
Knowing What Not to Do
Never directly wet the screen.Do not, under any circumstance, spray water directly onto the screen of the laptop.This significantly increases your odds of getting water into the machine, thereby making a short more likely. Only use water if you apply it with a soft cloth.
- Do not drench the cloth in water. A soaked cloth is more likely to drip excess water into the machine, which could cause serious damage to your computer. If you accidentally use too much water, wring the cloth out well until it is only slightly moist.
Do not use regular cleaning supplies on your screen.The only cleaners safe for your screen are the light water and vinegar mixture or a special store-bought cleaner meant for LCD screens. Do not use the following:
- Window cleaner
- All-purpose cleaner
- Dish soap, or soap of any kind
Never scrub your screen.If you press too hard you can permanently damage your laptop. Use a gentle circular rubbing motion when you clean your screen. Avoid using a brush or anything but a very soft cloth to clean your screen.
QuestionHow can I clean a laptop keyboard?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry using the sticky side of a sticky note in between the keys to pick up dirt and dust.Thanks!
QuestionAre there similar types of cloth I can use instead of microfiber?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAnything made of cotton is gentle enough to use on a laptop screen, but you should avoid using paper towels or facial tissue, which are too abrasive for this type of cleaning.Thanks!
QuestionShould I use eyeglass cleaner to clean a laptop screen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIn the tips it states, "If you have lens cleaner for eyeglasses, check the back to see if it contains 'Isopropanol.' If it does, don't use it on your LCD monitor." If it doesn't, you should be able to use it.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use cotton for cleaning a laptop screen rather than microfiber?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, as long as it is a gentle, soft kind, like t-shirt material.Thanks!
QuestionWhere can I buy a microfiber cloth?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMost supermarkets have them, as well as office supply stores.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use a lens cleaning cloth?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. Those are gentle and will not hurt your screen.Thanks!
QuestionCan Lysol wipes be used to clean a laptop screen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, it is too harsh. Use only water (distilled) or a 50-50 water and white vinegar solution with a microfiber or soft cotton cloth, like an old t-shirt.Thanks!
QuestionCan you use Clorox wipes or baby wipes to clean your laptop screen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. If you have eyeglasses cleaner, I suggest using some of that. Don't spray it directly on the screen or it could get into your laptop.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get better at not being distracted when I work on my homework?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGet all the distractions out of the room and take breaks every once in a while.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the best way to clean a flat screen TV with fingerprints on it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTake some dryer sheets and wipe across the TV lightly, if there's dust. Then take a microfiber cloth and clean it like you would a computer screen.Thanks!
What happens if I did clean it with an all purpose cleaner and now it is permanently smudged? Will it stay that way? I purchased some special electronic wipes to try to fix it but it still looks bad.
Is it better to use a clean sock instead of a shirt?
- Tissues, napkins, and other paper products will leave flakes of paper on your monitor. It's better to not even try using them. They can contain wood fibers and may even scratch polished surfaces.
- You don't want mineral spots on your screen, so don't use tap water.
- If you're a photographer, you can use your lint-free lens wipes instead of a soft cotton cloth.
- If you have lens cleaner for eyeglasses, check the back to see if it contains "Isopropanol", if it does don't use it on your LCD monitor.
- Use a cotton swab for the harder to reach places with the cleaning solution on it.
- If you apply too much of the solution and it is drippy or too damp, wipe it off with a soft cloth and apply less.
- Clean and then let it soak for a little and then repeat. Be patient with hard to clean spots
- If in doubt, test a small area of screen first.
- If you do not have any microfiber, use a clean sock (preferably white).
- The single use wet/dry LCD cleaning wipes that are commercially available solve the problems mentioned above and one more not mentioned. The wet wipe is moistened with the correct amount of cleaning solution so that you cannot have drips or runs on your screen. The wipes in the kit are lint free and do not leave streaks when used according to directions.
- Shut down your laptop, unplug it from the power adapter, and remove the battery before cleaning it or you risk damaging the pixels in the LCD display.
Things You'll Need
A soft cotton cloth (a microfiber cloth is best)
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Français: , Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Deutsch: , Nederlands: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية: , हिन्दी: , ไทย: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , 日本語: , Türkçe:
About This Article
Aug 31, 2019
Feb 23, 2019
Nov 17, 2019
Sep 9, 2019
Sep 23, 2019
Mar 20, 2019
Jan 25, 2019
Feb 12, 2019
Sep 3, 2019
Apr 9, 2019
Jan 14, 2019
Oct 9, 2019
Feb 7, 2019
Jun 17, 2019
Nov 19, 2019
Jul 20, 2019
Nov 20, 2019
May 27, 2019
May 2, 2019
May 30, 2019
May 30, 2019
Sep 22, 2019
Apr 29, 2019
Jan 9, 2019
Jul 20, 2019
Oct 25, 2019
Jun 15, 2019
Video: How to Clean a Laptop Screen
Honey-Peach Cake with Sugared Pistachios
How to Get Slim While Still Eating Chocolate
Romesh Ranganathan: I owe my mum a lot, so I basically now do whatever she tells me to do’
The Brain Tumor Treatment Team
How to Eat a Healthy Diet Inexpensively
How to Get Great Eyebrows
Everything You Need To Know To Get The Best Health Insurance Coverage For You And Your Family
Ten Best Dressed: 28 April 2010
3 Ways to Drink Gin
Castor Oil Enema- What Is it And What Are Its Benefits