What are the highest mountains in the world?
The mountains always attracted people of courageous spirit, enduring and purposeful. Only such conquer the peaks and discover unforgettable views. For most inhabitants, information about mountain peaks is limited to the lines from Vysotsky's song: "Only mountains that can not be more mountains can be better than mountains" and the knowledge gained in school about the highest mountain in the world of Everest. To visit the snow-capped peaks, to conquer the next height in conjunction with a reliable friend will not succeed, unfortunately, most of us, but you can get more information about the highest of them right now.
Criteria for evaluation
If you compile a list based on data on altitude above sea level, then it will include mountains, most of them unfamiliar to tourists, but from this no less interesting, with its impressive history of discoveries and conquest - this is the TOP-10 of our article.
And if we talk about belonging to parts of the world, then we get another list in which you can find more famous peaks - this is TOP-7, presented below.
Starting a story about the mountains on our planet, I want to first separately tell about the biggest of them - Mauna Kea, located in Hawaii. More than half of its height is hidden from human eyes by the waters of the ocean, but if you start reading from the underwater basement, even the famous Chomolungma will remain far behind. It is an inactive volcano that has a million years of history and is very convenient for astronomers, because its summit is an ideal place on Earth due to the necessary factors for the location of telescopes - air humidity, temperature, the number of solar days per year, ecology and others.
In this list are listed in descending order the highest mountains of the planet - the eight-thousanders, of which there are fourteen. The record holder for the presence of outstanding peaks is the Himalayan mountain system, where ten mountains, eight thousand meters above sea level, were recorded. All the rest are in the Karakoram mountain system.
- The leader, of course, is Chomolungma, or Everest, from the Himalayan system. The ancient name is translated from the Tibetan language as "Divine Mother of the energy of life" and is dedicated to the goddess.The second name of English origin, given in honor of the famous surveyor George Everest, has existed since the mid-nineteenth century. At the same time, the height of Chomolungma was determined and its high-altitude championship in the world was established. Since the first conquest in the last century, many more climbers have tried to reach the desired summit. Many succeeded, but more than two hundred and sixty people remained forever lying on its slopes and gorges, recalling the difficulties of ascent to all new brave men, who number up to four hundred a year.
- The second position is confidently taken by Chogori from Karakorum. It was also discovered in the nineteenth century and was originally called the second peak of the mountain system. The first attempt to climb in the early 1900s was unsuccessful, but the second, after fifty years, was crowned with success. Now you can get to the top on ten different routes, but do not forget that it is very dangerous. The technical difficulty of climbing promises the death of quarters to climbers. No one has yet been able to conquer Chogori in the winter.
- In third place is the Himalayan Kanchenjunga, which until the measurement of Everest was the world leader.She was conquered in the fifties of the twentieth century. A feature of the mountain is the increasing mortality among climbers, which has reached twenty-three percent and has been progressing over the years. Among the inhabitants of Nepal, there is a legend about the mountain-woman Kanchenjunga, who is killing mountain climbers wishing to conquer it.
- The fourth is Lhotse of the Himalayan system - a mountain located in the Tibet Autonomous Region. After the first ascent of the mountain in the last century, only a quarter of the attempts to climb the summit were successful.
- On the fifth position is Makalu from the central Himalayas, also from the Tibetan autonomy. She stayed long in the shadow of the popularity of Jomolungma and Lhotse, so a successful attempt to climb was undertaken by the French only in the fifties of the twentieth century. Now the brave men are going to the border of Nepal with China to stand on its top, but Makalu is a hard nut to crack. Seventeen routes are proposed to climb to the goal, but only a third of the climbers can boast of being there.
- And again unique Himalayas! The top of Cho Oyu is special, because for the first time in the world practice of alpinism such a significant height was taken by people who did not use oxygen masks and cylinders during the ascent.The Austrian expedition made a breakthrough, forever inscribing the names of its members in the history of mountaineering in 1954. Everyone can contribute to the conquest of the mountain, taking advantage of fifteen routes to choose from.
- The seventh position is behind Dhaulagiri I, which is the highest in the mountain range of the Himalayas of the same name. The translation of the name from Sanskrit sounds like "White Mountain". Before Everest and Kanchenjungi, the right to be proudly called the top of the world belonged to her. Only on the eighth attempt, the team, which included the best climbers in Europe, managed to climb the "White Mountain".
- Mount Manaslu from Nepal on the eighth line of the rating. This is also the Himalayas. To climb to the top, the north-eastern side is suitable and attempts were made repeatedly, but only in the eighty-fourth year of the last century the Poles managed to climb it. The complexity of the route leads to a high mortality rate of sixteen percent, and requires good preparation, equipment, health and perseverance.
- A no less dangerous peak in the ninth place in the list is Nangaparbat from the Himalayan mountains. For Europe, it was opened by Adolf Schlagintweit, making a sketch in the journey.The first attempt to conquer the mountain at the end of the nineteenth century ended in tragedy. Not succeeded and all subsequent, until 1953. Mortality rate among climbers reaches twenty-one percent, putting the top on the fourth place in the sad ranking of eight thousand meters.
- Closes our TOP Annapurna I Himalayan array with the same name. The mountain, called the “Goddess of Fertility” in translation from Sanskrit, claimed the lives of a third of climbers who tried to reach its summit. It was conquered in the last century by chance, since the initial goal of two French climbers was Dhaulagiri, at the last moment replaced by Annapurna, which they considered less impregnable. Recently, there has been a decrease in the death rate of the mountain explorers to seventeen percent.
Now we will get acquainted with the mountains, which can be significantly lower than the peaks from TOP-10, but are considered to be the highest on their continent. Everyone knows that there are seven parts of the world, therefore there are so many wonderful representatives of the natural miracle in the list. There is even a “Club of Seven Peaks”, to participate in which it is necessary to climb the mountains indicated below. So,
- Jomolungma, or Everest - represents Asia. We mentioned it earlier. We add that the mountain resembles a triangular pyramid, with a steep southern slope, and has a harsh climate, which makes it difficult to climb.
- Aconcagua from South America is located in the Andes (Argentina) and is famous for countless glaciers. The most convenient and technically challenging ascent is offered on the northern slope. Was conquered in the late nineteenth century by the English expedition. It bears the title of the highest peak of the two hemispheres of the planet (western and southern).
- McKinley is located in North America in Alaska. It is located in the Denali National Park and is its pearl, and before the sale of Alaska was considered the highest point of the Russian Empire. The Russian traveler Zagoskin discovered and explored McKinley along with the expedition, and subdued Reverend Hudson Stack as part of a group of American climbers. The original name of the mountain Denali ("Great") belongs to the indigenous people of the continent - the Indians of the Athabasca. The modern name is given in honor of the President of America.
- Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is the pride of Africa.The mountain consists of three peaks of extinct volcanoes, one of which until recently was covered with ice. Over the past century, the ice cap, visible from afar, has decreased by eighty percent, which is associated with the cutting of greenery. There is a possibility of its complete disappearance by the twentieth year of the current century. Climbing Kilimanjaro is considered simple and spectacular, thanks to the proximity of the equator. During the rise, you can consistently familiarize yourself with all the major climatic zones of the planet.
- Europe is worthy of Elbrus, the geographical location of which is debated. At the same time, it is the highest point of Russia (Greater Caucasus). This is a volcanic formation with two peaks, covered with glaciers. The time of conquest of the mountain - the beginning of the nineteenth century. In terms of technology, climbing Elbrus is not difficult. If we refer the mountain to Asia, and not Europe, then the championship is left to Mont Blanc from the mountain system of the Alps. This is part of the crystalline massif with a cover of ice. Known for Mont Blanc to conquer Theodore Roosevelt on his honeymoon.
- And this mountain is located in Antarctica.The Vinson Massif is part of the Ellsworth Mountains, with the same peak. At a distance of one thousand two hundred kilometers from the summit is the South Pole. American pilots found the highest mountain of Antarctica, and after ten years Nicholas Clinch conquered it in 1966.
- Closing the list of representatives of Australia and Oceania. Kosciusko Mountain in the Australian continent is located in the local Alps, in a national park. She conquered and named Polish geographer and geologist. The summit competes in the championship with the Carstens Pyramid. If you do not consider Australia separately, then this peak - Carstens Pyramid or Punchak-Jaya, is the highest point of Australia and Oceania.
The lack of consensus on this issue has led to the existence of two “Seven Peaks” programs, where the Punchak-Jaya mountain from New Guinea is taken as the basis. It is, moreover, the highest island peak in the world.
Wooden entrance doors
DIY sugar crystals
Summer work clothes: what criteria should meet
Dakota Johnson began to look older than mom
Rope chandelier (lamp)
How to clean the iron from scaling inside
Hibiscus garden: how to cover it for the winter